No matter which part of the world you’re living in, clearing blocked drains in Victoria or elsewhere is something that is best left to professional blocked drain plumbing services providers.
Clogged drains are nothing but a mess for homeowners. To put things in perspective, a recent study by insurer QBE found that clogged drains make up 13.4% of related claims. And if you’re not insured for water damage, be prepared to bear a heavy dent in your wallet.
Surprisingly, many residential property owners ignore the nuisance of clogged drains hoping they will unclog themselves! That’s quite like closing your eyes to impending danger with a false assumption that everything is fine under the sun.
Now, clogged drains is a common problem faced by homeowners. In this blog, we’re going to take a look at what causes clogged drains and useful tips for clearing blocked drains.
Main Causes for Blocked Drains
From accidental drops in your drain to a slow and steady build-up of grease, hair, and other junk, there are many reasons for blocked drains in your household.
- Grease build-up. Fatty substances, like hair, grease, and fat build-up in your kitchen sink and bathroom are a common cause of blocked drains and are difficult to clear. These substances stick to the inside walls of the drain pipes and gradually build up to the point where no more water can pass through.
- Broken pipes. Drain pipes can break due to general wear and tear and tree roots. As pipes begin to develop cracks, these become increasingly prone to drain blockages as compared to intact pipes. It is difficult to identify the root cause of blocked drains if you’re unable to detect broken pipes.
- Toiletries. Another common cause for clogged drains is toiletries that are disposed of down the drain in the form of baby wipes, nappies, toilet paper, etc. These objects are flushed down the toilet, absorb the moisture and enlarge, thus causing blocked drains and pipes.
- Plants and dirt. Natural debris in the form of plants, shrubs, tree roots, dirt, and leaves can cause blockage in drain pipes. This problem is generally seen after the autumn or spring season as fallen leaves find their way to local drain and sewer pipes.
- Heavy rain and storms. Heavy rain and storms cause blocked drains as these pipes are not designed to withstand the heavy influx of water. Overflow of rainwater and thunderstorms can cause blocked drains, which need to be cleared out to restore the normal flow.
- Hair. Hair naturally falling out of your head down your bathroom drain can accumulate to the extent that it can cause slow drainage or a complete blockage.
These are some of the most common reasons for blocked drains. Now we will look at some useful tips on why you require blocked drain services to keep them running smoothly. Let’s dig deep into this!
Proven Tips for Clearing a Blocked Drain
- Pour boiling water down the drain: Pouring boiling water down the drain is one of the most effective ways to flush down oil, fat or greasy substances stuck on the inside of your drain walls. Hot water dissolves oily or greasy substances and does not allow them to settle down at the bends or build up as a thick, hardened layer.
- Bent wire hanger: Using a bent wire hanger to clear a blocked drain is a traditional and effective method that you can perform by yourself. You simply have to place it in your drain, and if the clog is not deep, it will get hold of any debris in the solid form. This method is ideal only for minor clogs like hair or small-sized solid substances.
- Plunger: A simple yet effective tool to clear clogged drains, you can use it for both bathtub, toilet, and kitchen sink. A cup plunger is an ideal tool for many household drain blockages. Fill your tub or sink with water above the rubber seal of the plunger, plug the overflow drain to create a vacuum seal, and use the plunger in up and down motions to loosen the blockage.
- Corrosive cleaners: You can buy corrosive cleaners from your local retail stores. These cleaners are strong and quickly dissolve grease, fat, and oily build-ups inside your drain pipes. Though these are effective in clearing a blocked drain, the chemicals used in their making can be harmful to the environment. Also, you need to wear protective equipment to protect your skin and eyes from potential damage.
- Hydro Jetting: Hydro jetting is probably the most effective way to unblock clogged drains of any type of substance. Hydro jetting involves releasing a stream of water at exceedingly high pressure that blasts away any small or big clogs in your pipe to restore normalcy to your drains.
- Self-assembled Natural Cleaner: You can combine baking soda and white vinegar to clear unwanted drain blockage. Both substances combine to create oxygen that cleans the inside of your drains and sewer pipes. Pour baking soda, followed by vinegar, and repeat the process if needed. Flush hot water down your drain pipes to prevent residue build-up.
- Pipe Excavation: This complicated and time-consuming process is used in rare cases of extreme blockage and is only performed by certified and experienced drain-clearing plumbers who are well-equipped to carry out this task efficiently. Excavation is done to access damaged pipes to repair or replace them.
Clogged drains are a common occurrence and prevention is the best way to avoid them. You can avoid washing food or hair down your kitchen and bathroom drains, respectively, which will help you keep blocked drains to a minimum. However, there’s always a possibility of homeowners facing this problem due to various factors. While some blocked drains can be cleared through DIY techniques, some clogs are best resolved and cleared by professional plumbers quickly, with fewer risks involved.
With a highly qualified plumbing team and necessary accreditations, we can easily unblock any type of clogs that have developed in your drain pipes. Our top-notch plumbing and blocked drain services in Melbourne, Rowville, Glen Waverley, Pakenham, Dandenong, Lyndhurst, Clayton, Oakleigh, St Kilda, Brighton, Narre warren, Clayton, Burwood, Bentleigh, st kilda , Carrum Downs will leave you delighted at a fair price that won’t pinch your pocket. Trust us to resolve your blocked drain issues in the most efficient manner possible.